Monday, February 24, 2014

Little Lola's Update

5.5 months old!

So its been quite an adventure with Lola & LM. As much as it pains me to see her suffering and struggling I HAD (key word, HAD!!!!) to take the good with the bad. It could have been a million times worse. She could have needed surgery and had lasting issues with it. She had a Mild case, and even coined with the word "mild" there was nothing less spicy about it.

We struggled... a lot. Mainly worried about her gaining weight and progress. I don't care if she's a peanut all her life, but I do care if she has to struggle just to be a peanut.

About a month ago we left her 4m check up still disappointed... she gained a little more than the previous appt, but was still hovering in the 2% for her age. Of course on these scales they use her actual age and not the adjusted (from being 4w early). Her pedi was ok with her weight of 11lbs 3oz at 4m... she said since she is eating and thriving every where else, she was ok with the weight bc regardless she is gaining. It doesn't really sit that well with me that she weighs that much. I know 2m olds that are well over that. Actually now that I think about it... from 3m-4m she gained 1.5lbs, but from 4m-5m she only gained 12oz...

anyways... a month ago, she started chugging bottles. The old partier in me felt kinda proud. Now THIS is what Mama taught you! Relax your throat and drink that milk girl! She was out drinking Mila on a consistent basis for over a week. We went from 3oz bottles where she would take half or almost all of it, in about 30mins+ to downing 4-5oz in 15mins. So we upped the ounces to 6 and now she drinks it like its her job! Marc & I were feeling great about it. She seemed to really be filling out, seemed super hungry so we fed her. Her spit up was very minimal. I actually cried when I realized how much she was finally drinking (thank god for my "Baby Connect" App- life saver!)

Last Weds (Feb 19) Lola had her check with ENT Dr. M up at the Children's Hospital. Hubs worked from home the first half of the day and stayed back with Beebs and Mila. Lola and I jammed out to some music, the sun was shining (for once) and I was in a great mood. When we got to the hospital I went to get Lola out of the back. I freaked out. I brought the wrong baby. I stood up with my hands over my mouth and almost threw up. My appt was in 15mins and they already rescheduled us bc Dr. M wasn't going to be for our last appt. We lived 15mins away... I thought about jumping back in my car and peeling down 77 until I took a closer look... thank you baby Jesus, I have Lola. I don't know what it was, but I swore I had Mila. I really hope this is not the trend to come. If I would have brough the wrong baby, then Marc & I both are losing our minds bc it was a collective effort to get everyone up and together before Lola & I left. After sighing relief and gaining feeling back in my legs I flung open the stroller, plopped the car seat in and headed inside.

We weren't there long before we got called back,but I made sure to get Lola out of her seat immediately to play with her and talk. Its not too often she gets one on one time with me, so I wanted to make the best out of our outing even if it was just to the doctor.

The Med Assistant took her weight... this is where I immediately got upset. Lola was fully clothed and had a full diaper. Its normal for them to weigh the girls non nakey. She told me 11lbs 9oz. I immediately put that in my Baby Connect App and popped up as 1% and then also saw last months entry of 11lbs 3oz. 6oz ina month??? NO way, that is WAY TOO LOW. She has to be more. The tech weighed her again. Everything was in kgs so she had to do a conversion and got the same each time. I was so confused. She kept repeating the weight to me. I told Hubs and he agreed it couldn't be right. I tried to just forget about it as we waited for Dr. M. He came in pretty fast, he is a very handsome doctor (blush). They had me sit in the chair and wrap my arms around Lola while they threaded the spaghetti looking camera up through her nose down to her throat. God she hates it. Who wouldn't? He recorded what he needed and then he slipped it out. I turned her around and put her head against my heart and rocked her side to side and told her I loved her until she calmed. He played the video back and one side of the Larynx had "tightened" up!!!! The other side is still "flappy", but its great that one side is already tight. He was very happy and said she was healing well and should fully be outgrown from this by her First Birthday! Her symptoms (clicks) are also very minimal and with the recent intake of bottles, its clear she's doing well. I told him my concern about the weight. His response was simple, that some babies grow faster than others. Well duh. Clearly I just need to call the pedi. So I did and we've been playing phone tag since!

They go back for their 6m (6months?!?! what!??!) in 2.5weeks, but I'm wondering if she'll want a weight check before that. Regardless, Lola is improving... slowly, but that is ok. This is such great news and we are so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment